A few weeks ago, we talked about how aging affects our hair. Today we are going to chat about 3 ways aging affects our skin and what we can do about it! There are some things that we can do to help slow down the process. And others that we just need to accept gracefully!
I have mentioned this before, but I wish I had started a skincare routine earlier in my life. But it is never too soon or too late to begin one! Our skin can be forgiving but let’s be honest it can only take so much abuse from us. So, the more we learn and grow the happier we will be! If you didn’t catch my blog post the other week, 3 Ways Aging Affects Our Hair you can read that here.
This site uses affiliate links, which means a commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. All content and images on this site are protected and may not be reused without written permission from the author.
As we age the skin on our hands and arms is usually the most noticeable to thin. But why? There is a breakdown as we age of collagen, elastin fibers, and shrinking of the cells that make up the layers of the skin. We also have thinning of the layer of fatty tissue under the skin.
Have you also noticed that as you get older you bruise easier? Except for me! I have always bruised easily. It scares me to think what I will look like when it comes to bruising in my 70s. Lol! Bruising when you get older is due to your blood vessels in the dermis becoming more fragile. Also, our skin thinning. This can cause excessive bruising. As we age, we tend to go on more medications and have more chronic illnesses.
What can we do about it?
- Protect your skin from the sun. Wear sunscreen either when out for long periods or daily sunscreen. Wear clothing to protect your skin from the sun. UV rays have been shown to thin the skin with age.
- Keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
- This is a recurring theme around here, drink your water. Staying hydrated keeps your skin in better health.
Am I the only person that thinks of wrinkles when I think of aging?! Our skin collagen production slows down. Collagen gives our skin elasticity, and when it starts to break down gravity takes over and causes our skin to sag and wrinkle.
What can we do to help prevent wrinkles?
I did a blog post a while back, 5 Everyday Habits That Cause Wrinkles. You might want to check that out here!
- Stop smoking
- Practice sun safety
- Remove your makeup nightly
- Keep your skin moisturized
3. Dry Skin
Just like our hair can change as we get older so can our skin. Maybe you had oily skin most of your life but as you age it starts to get dry. That is normal. Our sebaceous glands produce less oil as we age. This can get significantly worse after menopause. Sorry ladies… You may need to reevaluate your current skincare routine. If you need help with that you can always send me a message or start here by filling out a consultation form.
How can you improve dry skin?
- You guessed it! Stay hydrated. Drinking water and staying hydrated are good for our skin.
- Reevaluated your skincare routine. You may need something that adds more moisture to your skin. Keeping our skin hydrated and moisturized will help us to have healthy skin.
- Spend less time in the sun and use sun protection.
- If you live in a dry climate check into using a humidifier.
- Shower or bath in warm water instead of hot water. Hot water can be very drying on the skin.
Remember we are aging gracefully and gratefully! Not everyone is blessed enough to get to an age to fight these battles! Knowing what causes the issues that you might be having is half the battle.
Do you struggle with any of these issues? Please comment below!
Leave a Reply