Do you struggle with how to get the static out of your hair especially in the winter months? I know some people that never fight with static and others that have a constant battle with it. Would you love to know some helpful tips on how to reduce static or get rid of it all together?!
I can remember as a kid having horrible problems with hair static! My sisters and I all had long hair and I can remember our hair sticking straight out from our head from static. Most of the time it was in the winter months, and boy if we had just taken off a knit hat from our head watch out! I can still remember the popping sound as we took off our knit hat in the winter. Did anyone else have this problem?!
Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in.
What really is static and why is it worse in the winter?
I never really liked physics class very much in school but… hair static is a buildup of electric charges; hair builds up extra protons which are positively charged. Those protons push against each other resulting in static. That’s what you see with hair static, hair is statically repelling each other. Have you ever heard the static in your hair sometimes?
Static always seems to raise it ugly head during the winter months leaving us to wonder why? Colder months tend to be dry, less humid. Air isn’t as moist as it is in other months. Dry and damaged hair tends to be more prone to static, moisture helps to repel electric charges. The benefits are always endless to having healthy and happy hair! Lol!
Is there a difference between static and frizz?
Yes, but both hair that suffers from being frizzy and hair that has static have one thing in common. They both are a result in a change in moisture. Sometimes people can confuse the two, you wouldn’t think so, but it happens!
Frizz: Typically, people struggle with frizz during the summer months because there is an increase in humidity.
Static: The struggle is usually felt mostly in the winter months for most people due to the lack of moisture.
Tips for reducing static in your hair
- Start with great hair products that help balance the moisture & hydration in your hair.
- Anti-Static Brush – have you ever had a brush that feels like it creates more static than it prevents it? I have!! They make brushes that help combat this problem. I share my top pick below!
- Spray hairspray or Glossy Shine Mist on a brush and brush it through your hair. One of my favorite products is Monat’s Glossy Shine Mist, it smells so good and adds shine and just the right amount of moisture to your hair!
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase. This will help will keeping the friction down which will help with static & hair breakage.
- Microfiber Towel. I have spoken several times about the benefits on using these vs a towel. Our hair is very fragile while wet, it can stretch and break more easily and using a microfiber towel will help prevent these things.
- If you are desperate, use a dryer sheet! You can either rub it on your head or on your brush prior to using. I have done this before years ago in a pinch and it actually works. Lol!
My favorite products to help fight hair static
I am going to share some of my favorite hair products that help fight hair static! My sister recently was struggling with some hair static problems herself and we got hers resolved! If you are interested in a consultation on what products might work best for you, click here.
Anti-static brushes and combs are great to have on hand even if you aren’t currently struggling with hair static. I love a good paddle brush!
Moisture-wicking microfiber absorbs excess water without friction or heat.
creates less friction on average, which can reduce stretching and tugging of your hair and skin.
Monat Unknot Detangler
Leaves hair feeling soft, detangled, and conditioned, provides frizz control and helps to reduce static, contains a UV absorber to help protect against color fading, strengthens and protects hair from breakage caused by brushing, preps hair for optimal performance of styling products, can be used daily on wet or dry hair.
Monat Leave-in Conditioner
Helps restore essential nutrients to the scalp, boosting natural hair growth and improving follicle strength to reduce hair thinning. Tames frizz and flyaway’s; leaving fragile hair silky, youthful and supple.
Monat Air Dry Cream
Provides texture and frizz-free results, delivers shine and silky-smooth softness, leaves hair looking healthy, no heat needed, perfect for all hair types.
Monat Glossy Shine Mist
Adds moisture, hydration, and shine, delivers radiance, softness, and frizz control, lightweight formula does not weigh down the hair, provides frizz control, great for all hair types and styles.
So, do you struggle with hair static on a regular basis? Have these tips helped you in your quest to reduce or fix your hair static problems?! I would love to hear if you have any tips that you would like to share below in the comments.