Summer is officially here! When most people think of sun protection they forget about their scalp and hair. But this is also a very important part of your body to protect. Most of us spend a lot of time and money on our hair and we should protect it. Today I am going to give you some tips on how to protect your hair and scalp this summer!
When my sisters and I were kids, we would swim and be out in the sun a lot. Our hair would get a lot lighter in the summer. I remember even trying the “ole” lemon and sun trick on it! We are luckily much more educated than we were back then on sun safety. I won’t even go into friends that used to use baby oil to tan …
Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in.
Should I Wash My Hair More Often in the Summer?
The general rule of thumb is no you shouldn’t. A lot of people feel like they need to because they get sweaty, get sunscreen in it, or are getting it wet in the pool or ocean. If you get into the habit of washing your hair more often and it doesn’t need it, you will get your scalp unbalanced and start a vicious cycle. I did a blog post a while back, The Secret to a Healthy Scalp. You can read that here.
So, what do you do if your hair feels like it’s dirty or it gets wet from being in the pool or ocean?
- If it is feeling “dirty” or it has been a hot day a great tip is to use your dry shampoo the evening before going to bed. While you sleep it will soak up all the oil and be ready to go in the morning! If you need a refresher before that, use your dry shampoo and take your hair dryer to the roots using a cool setting. I usually use a vented brush to pick up my roots and do this for just a few minutes and it is a great refresher!
- You may need to adjust your summer hair routine with products. A lot of time you will not use the same products in the summer that you use in the winter months. We have different needs at different times of the year. Humidity and temperature can play a big role. Maybe you need to add in an extra masque treatment during the week or an oil treatment. Are you using a product that helps fight frizz due to humidity? If you need help finding products that will work best for you, I would love to help you with that. Click here for a consultation.
Does My Hair Need Sunscreen?
Sunscreen isn’t just for your skin. Sun rays can act like bleach on your hair and change the color. The sun can also cause sunburn to your scalp. So, you want to protect both. I know I spend a lot of money having my hair lightened and want to protect it!
There are many products out there that you can use that have UV protection in them to protect your hair. I recommend Monat color-locking + protective spray. It will extend your color and protect against UV rays. If you are going to be spending the day at the beach or pool, I would also recommend applying a leave-in conditioner to your hair, especially the ends to protect them. Bring that along or your detangler spray. I will put all my favorite products at the end of the post.
*Tip: Keep a wide-tooth or wet brush in your pool/beach bag and when detangling start from the bottom and work your way from the bottom up! Please don’t start at the top and rip through your hair because it can cause breakage.
Did Someone Say Swim Cap?
If you plan on being in a chlorinated pool a swim cap would be ideal, but I don’t think many people are willing to go to those lengths! Lol! We do have some alternatives that we can use that will help to protect your scalp and hair!
- Wear a wide brim sun hat when possible. If you aren’t a hat person, put on a scarf, there are some cute options out there! Also, try putting it up in a bun or back in a ponytail to keep it out of the water.
- Prep your hair before going out in the sun and water. Cover any exposed scalp with sunscreen and put a leave-in conditioner on those ends. Typically, our ends are a little drier and will soak up any chlorine if exposed so prep them first with a good leave-in. I love our Monat Restore Leave-in conditioner.
- If your hair does happen to get wet from being in the pool, try your best to rinse it with clean water as soon as possible. The faster you get the chlorine-washed out of your hair the least amount of damage it will do. Follow it up with either a detangler spray or leave-in conditioner.
- Stay in the shade when possible. Sit under an umbrella and relax! It’s cooler under there anyway and a lot less damaging to your skin, scalp, and hair!
Summer is a fun time of year! Actually, one of my favorite seasons but we can still keep our hair and scalp looking amazing all year. Do you have any tips that you use while at the pool or beach to protect your hair and scalp? Please share below in the comments.
As promised, I am sharing my favorite products below that I like to use especially in the summer to keep my hair healthy. Just click on the product to learn more about it. If you would like for me to help you find what products would work best for you just click here and I will be in touch soon!
Monat Blowout Anti-Frizz Spray
- The perfect styling multi-tasker for smoother, softer hair with less frizz.
- Provides thermal protection up to 450°F and preserves color for up to 20 washes while minimizing split ends and frizz for sleek humidity-proof styles
Monat Restore Leave-In Conditioner
Strong meets silky in this must-have addition to your hair regimen. Packing an extra punch of moisture, our nourishing Restore Leave-In Conditioner will replenish the scalp with its essential nutrients, while natural hair growth. A true multi-tasker, it can be used on wet or dry hair to tame those pesky frizzes and flyways.
- Tames frizz & flyways
- Can be used on wet or dry hair
Monat Unknot Detangler
- A lightweight formula to detangle instantly and weightlessly
- Helps to strengthen while maintaining moisture and softness in the hair
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Great for all hair types and textures
- Dermatologist tested