I am sure you have heard about the process of double cleansing your face. But what is double cleansing and what are the benefits? I know you are thinking, please not another step in my skincare routine! It only adds a few minutes to your routine and your skin will thank you. After all, I think my aging skin can use all the help it can get!
Have you ever noticed that you still have makeup or dirt residue after washing your face and then using a cotton round with a toner or essence on it? There is a reason for that! And I am going to explain it to you!
This site uses affiliate links, which means a commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. All content and images on this site are protected and may not be reused without written permission from the author.
What Do The Experts Have to Say About Double Cleansing?
So, the experts recommend that most people rinse, and repeat! First with an oil-based product and then follow up with a water-based cleanser. An oil-based cleanser helps to remove makeup and sunscreen. That extra step of the oil-based cleanser helps to break down all that oil, makeup, dirt, and sunscreen from the day.
- Double cleansing is extra helpful for people with oily skin.
- The extra step helps the water-based cleansers to work, you know do their job!
- Helps to prep your skin for your other skincare products. Your “replenish” phase of your routine. I did a blog post on skincare product layering that you can read here.
Step By Step Directions For Double Cleansing
- Apply oil-based cleanser according to the product directions. Many times, they are applied to dry skin but not always. Gently massage the skin and if you are wearing eye makeup your eyes. Be extra gentle around your eyes. The skin around our eyes is thin and we need to use a very soft touch to prevent pulling and tugging. This step helps to break down the makeup, dirt, oil, and daily sunscreen that is on our skin.
- Rinse with a soft washcloth, biodegradable disposable cloth, or your hands with warm water. Avoid using hot water due to having a drying effect on the skin.
- Keep your face damp and apply your water-based cleanser. Massage gently into your skin.
- Rinse with warm water and gently pat your skin dry.
- Apply your “Replenishing” products.
What Are the Benefits of Double Cleansing?
- It can remove more impurities than just a single washing can.
- It allows your skincare products to penetrate more thoroughly.
- Allows your skin to look brighter.
- Removes all traces of makeup effectively.
- Cleanses without stripping the skin.
- Fewer breakouts.
Tips & Questions Answered
A common question is: Should I double cleanse both in the morning and at night? The answer for most people is no. You typically only need to double cleanse in the evening before going to bed to remove makeup, dirt, oil, and daily sunscreen from your day. Overwashing can be damaging. It can cause excessive dryness, skin irritation, and breakdown of the skin barrier. So, we don’t want to overwash our skin.
Do I have to use an oil-based cleanser? No, a lot of people use Micellar water for their “1st wash”. Micellar water helps to remove makeup, dirt, and oil. Typically, people with sensitive or dry skin use Micellar water. Be sure to always follow up with a cleaner after using Micellar water because it does not totally cleanse your skin.
Always use products based on your skin type. Our skin type can change over time also. So maybe you had oily skin in your 20s and 30s but now in your 40s or 50s, your skin is dry. This can be totally normal. If you aren’t sure what your skin type is I did a blog post to help you figure that out! You can read that here.
So, are you currently double cleansing? If not, are you going to give it a try? Believe it or not, it doesn’t add much time to your evening routine. Just a few minutes! It is well worth it especially as we age. Not removing all traces of makeup at night can contribute to premature aging! Please share your thoughts about it below in the comments!