Cleaning is supposed to make our lives easier and safe from harmful viruses, germs, and bacteria. But what happens when you discover that some of the products you have been using most of your life could make you sick? Today, we will discuss why you should use non-toxic cleaning products.
I noticed a pattern after using cleaning products over the past several years. I would have stomach issues, and my migraines would increase for days after using specific products. My husband also has similar problems. But I like to have a clean house, so I kept using the same products. That was until recently after I started researching and paying attention to the ingredients.
This site uses affiliate links, which means a commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. All content and images on this site are protected and may not be reused without written permission from the author.
Safer, Non-Toxic Ingredients
It turns out we don’t really need harsh chemicals to get our homes clean. Society has us believe the only way to clean and sanitize our home is to use chemicals like chlorine bleach and ammonia.
There are smarter ingredient choices out there if you do your research. Using products that are naturally derived and have plant-derived ingredients can work just as well or better.
Toxic Ingredients to Stay Away From:
- Chlorine Bleach – I have used this many times in the past in bathrooms to get rid of mold or mildew. Afterward, it felt like my lungs were on fire. That’s because Chlorine bleach can permanently damage skin and attack membranes in your respiratory system.
- Ammonia – This is also a chemical that, with exposure, can cause immediate burning of the nose, throat, and respiratory tract.
- Parabens – You may have been hearing a lot about Parabens recently, and that is for good reason. They have been known as endocrine disruptors. The EWG has a lot of information on Parabens. Which you can read here.
- Formaldehyde – When used, it can cause an allergic reaction in the skin, burning and watery eyes, nose, and throat, coughing, wheezing, and nausea.
Safer & Non-toxic Ingredients to Look for:
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are nothing new. They serve many purposes, including fragrance and topical remedies, and they also have cleansing properties.
- Thyme Oil – We are planning to go much deeper into all the benefits of thyme oil. However, the natural oil from the herb thyme is proven to kill viruses and bacteria.
- Citric Acid – Citric acid is found naturally in citrus fruit. It has been found to be an effective alternative to harsh chemicals that dissolve hard water, soap scum, and mineral deposits.
- Sodium Citrate – A mineral salt derived from citric acid. It is natural and comes from plants and animals. What does it do? It is a natural, effective alternative to synthetic stabilizers.
Why Change What’s Working?
I understand how making changes isn’t easy. I am a total creature of habit. But I also can be skeptical of things. I kept hearing about certain chemicals being endocrine disruptors, and it made a light bulb go off in my head. And I had thyroid cancer when I was 33 years old. I try not to play the ‘what if” game, but could that have played a part in it?
Did you know that it only takes 26 seconds for something (chemicals) to absorb into our skin and get into our bloodstream? That is fast! Think about how often we use chemicals daily, weekly, and monthly. And this also goes for our hair, skin, and cleaning products. We did a blog post that you might consider reading, “What is Clean Beauty and Why Does it Matter?“
The EU has banned over 1200 toxic chemicals because of their potential health and environmental harm. Curious how many the US has banned? At last count, there are 10 cosmetic chemicals banned by the FDA and 6 chemicals banned by the EPA. It is important for you to do your own homework when it comes to ingredients.
Made in the USA & No More Big Box Stores
I like products that are made in the USA. I love to support small businesses and larger businesses that are based in the US. Somedays, it seems harder and harder to find them. But we have been blessed enough to find safer and more effective cleaning solutions right in our backyard.
National brands and big box stores have made us believe for far too long that they were the only option. However, I have found that most of the products that I have switched to are safer, more effective, and, in many cases, more affordable. Plus, having them conveniently delivered straight to your door is a bonus! I look forward to getting my Wellness Box every month. It’s the little things in life!
Have you thought about using non-toxic cleaning products? There are safer and more effective cleaning solutions out there without harming your health in the process. I have switched to them, and now I feel much better knowing that I am not breathing in harsh chemicals all the time.
I would love to hear your thoughts below in the comments.